Sunday, July 5, 2009

Adding Some Skin

I choose to use a Photo07051933composite materiel 16 foot by 1 foot. Not real difficult to install but a bear to get home. I have a 5 foot bed on my Tacoma and even with the extended attachment in my towing connector I had 5 feet still hanging off the back. It took two trips from the Home Depot using the back roads. I still have some painting to do, mainly on the corner trim and a couple nails to cover. The existing roof has a pitch of about 2 inches but it matches that of the foundation which also has a 2 inch pitch. This allowed the water to run off when the previous owners park their boat under the car port. I put a heat barrier between the studs and the siding. Texas doesn’t stay cold very long but it does stay hot for some time. I having decided to use a swap cooler or a portable AC unit.Photo07051932 

My initial thought was to use a double door but after talking with Rob, I decided to go with sliding door. Like old Norm has on his shop. I wanted to match the shop color and yet blend in with the house. My choice, Red Oak trim with Birch panels and Plexiglas windows. I modified the normal closet sliding door hardware and they seem to be working quite well. The door is only about 3/4 inch thick, but the goal is to keep some of the weather out. If someone want to really get in it wouldn’t take much. The door proved to be a winner with Donna, especially when it is the first thing you see while sitting on the back porch.

Photo07051931 Photo07051932_1

Sunday I spent most of my time installing the dust collection ducting and cleaning the place up. I have a 2 horsepower dust collection system. My plan is to install it in the garage so I can close the door and keep the noise out. My next task is to install the inner walls, 1/4 Panel at the bottom and peg-board at the top. But before that I have to invite the building inspector over to inspect the outside walls and the electrical wiring. Now the work will slow down until next payday.

1 comment: