Sunday, September 20, 2009

Drawers Ain’t Easy!

100_0266

My 30th anniversary was awesome, the photo says it all. Donna and I have been blessed with a marriage that has sustain despite the secular world’s wisdom. We have two great kids and a wonderful grandson. Of course all these blessings has nothing to do with our actions but those of our Lord.

This weekend I began working on the workbench drawers. Drawers aren’t easy so I took a yet another simple design out of one of my wood magazines, one that is strong but not fancy. I haven’t purchased a dado yet so I have been using my router and my Kreg Jig R3, a awesome combination.  IMG_0008In the photo I build the front of the drawers with a frame and panel design. I use .75in x 1.5in red oak to build the frame and the panel is plain .25in oak. Building and install 8 draws took me about 6 hours. Your cuts have to be close to perfect and alignments right on or nothing slides the way it is suppose too.  I have a sense of satisfaction when it is all completed. More importantly than that I’ve added to my cabinet making skills. I built 4 shallow and 4 deep drawers for future options.

IMG_0009

The next phase is to work on the doors. If you notice I did not put a center bar. This allows me a wider opening to put larger kits inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment